Minister for Justice and Equality Frances Fitzgerald T.D. welcomes announcement from An Garda Síochána on Fixed Charge Penalty System
Minister for Justice and Equality Frances Fitzgerald T.D. has welcomed the announcement today from An Garda Síochána in respect of very important changes to the operation of the Fixed Charge Penalty System.
The Minister stated: "The measures announced today form part of ongoing work to implement the Garda Inspectorate Report's recommendations and are designed to improve the operation and oversight of the fixed charge processing system. They are very important steps in ensuring that we have an efficient fixed charge penalty system in which people can have full confidence.
"I look forward to continuing to work with the Commissioner, Minister Varadkar and all of the other relevant agencies on implementation of the Report's
The changes are part of on-going changes being made following the Garda Inspectorate's report into the Fixed Charge Penalty System (FCPS).
The changes include:
- The publication on Garda.ie of a guide explaining how the Fixed Charge Penalty System cancellation process works
- Cancellation requests can now be made on a cancellation form, which is publicly available on the Garda website or through the Fixed Charge Processing Office, Thurles
- The centralisation of the authority to cancel Fixed Charge Penalty Notices at the Fixed Charge Processing Office in Thurles.
- Regular audits are undertaken in relation to the operation of FCPS.
- The publication of a revised internal manual outlining changes to internal policies and procedures in relation to FCPS