Nominations for Appointment to the High Court
At its meeting today, the Government nominated Brian O’Moore S.C., Mark Sanfey S.C., Mary Rose Gearty S.C., Niamh Hyland S.C. and Mark Heslin Solr. for appointment by the President to the High Court.
The vacancies in the High Court have arisen due to the elevation of the Hon. Ms. Justice Aileen Donnelly to the Court of Appeal on 17 June 2019. The other four vacancies arose following the elevations of the Hon. Mr. Justice Seamus Noonan, the Hon. Ms. Justice Mary Faherty, the Hon. Mr. Justice Robert Haughton and the Hon. Ms. Justice Una Ní Raifeartaigh to the Court of Appeal on 4 November 2019.
The Government has taken necessary steps to formally advise President Higgins of the nominations in accordance with constitutional practice.
Note for Editors
The nominations for appointment to the High Court follows a process conducted by the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board.
Limited biographical details:
Brian O’Moore S.C.
- Educated: Trinity College Dublin
- Called to the Bar: 1984
- Called to the Inner Bar: 1999
Mark Sanfey S.C.
- Educated: Trinity College Dublin, The Honorable Society of Kings Inns
- Called to the Bar: 1987
- Called to the Inner Bar: 2004
- Founder member Construction Bar Association, founder member of Consult a Colleague
Mary Rose Gearty S.C.
- Called to the Bar: 1992
- Called to the Inner Bar: 2009
- Former vice chair of the Bar Council. Current chair Professional Practices Committee of the Bar Council. Current director of Our Lady’s Hospice and Care Services Limited. Current board member, Irish Rule of Law International. Member of MacLochlainn Commission of Investigation. Founder member Consult a Colleague. Founder member L&W (Law and Women). Lecturer in The Honorable Society of Kings Inns and Griffith College.
Niamh Hyland S.C.
- Educated: Trinity College Dublin, Magdalen College Oxford, The Honorable Society of Kings Inns.
- Called to the Bar: 1994
- Called to the Inner Bar: 2012
- Former member of the Board of Rehab, Director of Open Spectrum CLG, former member of the Bar Council and various committees. Former board member of Irish Commercial Mediation Association.
Mark Heslin Solr.
- Educated: University College Galway, Law Society of Ireland.
- Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors 1995.
- Former tutor at the Law Society of Ireland.