Government agrees nominations for appointment to the Court of Appeal, High Court, Circuit Court and District Court
At its final meeting of 2019 yesterday, the Government agreed to nominate the following persons for appointment by the President:
- Mr Justice Donald Binchy to the Court of Appeal; and
- Mr Colm Roberts to the District Court.
In anticipation of imminent vacancies, the Government also agreed in principle to nominate the following persons for appointment by the President in due course:
- Mr Paul Burns SC to the High Court; and
- Ms Helen Boyle to the Circuit Court.
The vacancy in the Court of Appeal arises following the elevation of Ms. Justice Marie Baker to the Supreme Court on the 2nd December 2019. The vacancy in the District Court follows the elevation of Ms. Justice Rosemary Horgan to the Circuit Court on the 5th December 2019.
The vacancy in the Circuit Court will arise on the retirement in January 2020 of Ms. Justice Susan Ryan, while the vacancy in the High Court will arise when Mr. Justice Donald Binchy is elevated to the Court of Appeal.
The Government has taken the necessary steps to formally advise President Higgins of the nominations in accordance with the Constitution.
The nominations for appointment to each of the Courts follows the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board process.
Limited biographical details:
Mr. Justice Donald Binchy
• Education: University College Dublin and the Law Society of Ireland and admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in 1987
• Appointed to the High Court in 2014
Mr. Paul Burns SC
• Education: B.A. (Mod.) Legal Science Trinity College, Dublin, 1984. M.Litt. Law, Trinity College, Dublin. 1987
• Called to the Bar: 1986
• Called to the Inner Bar: 2004
Ms. Helen Boyle
• Education: LLB, University College Cork and University of Leiden, 1993. LLM, University of Edinburgh, 1994. BL, Kings Inns, 1996.
• Called to the Bar: 1996
Mr. Colm Roberts
• Education: Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL) Hons, University College Dublin, 1987
• Admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in 1992.