Appointments to the High, Circuit and District Court
At its meeting today, the Government nominated Mr.Cormac Quinn BL for appointment by the President to the Circuit Court and Ms Kathryn Hutton BL, Ms Fiona Lydon, Solicitor and Mr. David Waters, Solicitor for appointment by the President to the District Court.
The vacancy in the Circuit Court arises from the retirement of His Hon. Judge Donagh McDonagh on 15 April 2016. The vacancies in the District Court arise from the retirements of Judge William Early on 25 November 2015, Judge Patrick Clyne on 23 January 2016 and Judge Geoffrey Browne on 20 March 2016.
The Government has taken the necessary steps to formally advise President Higgins of the nominations in accordance with constitutional procedure.
In addition, the Government agreed in principle to nominate Her Hon. Judge Leonie Reynolds for appointment by the President to the High Court, once a vacancy arises in that Court following the elevation of The Hon. Mr Justice John Hedigan to the Court of Appeal.
Note for Editors
Under section 17 of the Courts and Court Officers Act 1995 (as amended by the Court of Appeal Act 2014), procedures in respect of the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board do not apply in respect of judicial appointments where a sitting judge is nominated for appointment.
The remaining nominations for appointment follow the receipt of lists of suitable candidates from the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board.
Limited biographical details:
Her Hon. Judge Leonie Reynolds
• Educated at University College Dublin and King’s Inns
• Called to the Bar: 1993
• Appointed as a Judge of the Circuit Court: January 2010
• Member of the Special Criminal Court: October 2015
Mr. Cormac Quinn BL
• Educated: National University Ireland Galway and the King’s Inns
• Called to the Bar: 1992
• Practices mainly in criminal law with experience in Constitutional law, extradition, Habeas Corpus and judicial review cases. Also experienced in personal injury, medical negligence and defamation cases.
• A member of An Garda Síochána (1984-1992) and a member of St Vincent de Paul from 2011 to date.
Ms Kathryn Hutton BL
• Educated: University College Dublin and the King’s Inns
• Called to the Bar: 1987
• Mixed practice with experience in criminal law, family law, personal injuries, compensation cases and Tribunal work
• Member of the Hepatitis C Tribunal (2011 to date) and previously Vice Chair of the Employment Appeal Tribunal (1995-1998)
• Served on the Council of King’s Inns (2005-2008) and on its Education Committee (2005-2010). Member of St Vincent De Paul 2000 to date.
Ms Fiona Lydon, Solicitor
* Educated: National University of Ireland Galway and the Law Society of Ireland
* Enrolled as a solicitor: 1993
* Group Legal Counsel for Shannon Group plc: October 2015 to date
* Solicitor with Keane Solicitors: 1993 to October 2015 with experience in commercial law, conveyancing and litigation
* Non-executive director St. Anthony's and CladdaghCredit Union: 2015 to date
Mr. David Waters, Solicitor
• Educated: National University of Ireland Galway, University College Cork and the Law Society of Ireland
* Enrolled as a solicitor: 1992
* Principal Solicitor in Sullivan Waters and Co. Solicitors: 2009 to date
* Wide experience in personal injury, conveyancing, probate and also in criminal law
* Member of the Law Society Criminal Law Committee