Published on 

Getting Ireland Brexit ready: Government advice for those driving Irish-registered vehicles in Northern Ireland and Great Britain

The decision of the UK to leave the EU means change. Addressing the challenges of the UK leaving the EU, particularly without any deal, requires response at EU level, by Government, by citizens and responses by businesses and affected sectors.

As part of our preparedness and contingency planning, the Irish Government identified that those driving in Northern Ireland and Great Britain may be impacted by Brexit.

The following is the latest Government advice that we can give you to help minimise any disruption to your travel.


Latest advice

Driving in the UK on an Irish licence

The UK Government’s stated position is that, post-Brexit, arrangements for EU licence holders who are visiting or living in the UK would not change. Visitors to the UK, with driving licences from EU Member States, will enjoy the same arrangements as today.


Proof of insurance (Green Cards)

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) and the Association of British Insurers have advised those planning on driving Irish-registered vehicles in Northern Ireland or Great Britain, post-Brexit to get a Green Card from their insurance company.

If you intend to drive in Northern Ireland or Great Britain after Brexit and have not already received a Green Card, you should contact your insurance company to obtain one before you travel.

Green Cards are internationally recognised insurance documents, which act as proof of motor insurance when travelling internationally. Drivers travelling from Northern Ireland or Great Britain to Ireland will also be required to carry a Green Card.

MIBI, the body responsible for the Green Card system in Ireland, has circulated approximately 1 million Green Cards to insurers and brokers. All insurers are now issuing Green Cards on request from their customers, with some insurers automatically issuing Green Cards to those living in border Counties.  A number of insurers are issuing Green Cards to all policyholders.


Insurance cover

At present, all motor vehicles from any EU country, including the UK, may travel within the EU without carrying special documentation to prove they have insurance in the country they are visiting. This will change if the UK leaves the EU without an agreement in place.

The vast majority of Irish motor insurance policies cover driving in the UK, as they refer to the UK specifically. A small number of policies may refer to travelling ‘in the EU’ rather than explicitly referring to the UK.

If you are in doubt, you should contact your insurance company to confirm that you have UK cover.


More information on

Further information is available from, which is regularly updated with the latest developments so do check back regularly. This Government website provides practical advice to help businesses and citizens around the country to prepare for Brexit.