Large Attendance expected at EU Digital Assembly in Dublin Castle, June 19th & 20th
Wednesday 19th and Thursday 20th of June sees the European Digital Agenda Assembly take place in Dublin Castle, where over 600 delegates from across the civil and private spheres come together to plot the next steps in the EU’s Digital Agenda. A meeting of this type provides a unique opportunity for the exchange of ideas and the drafting of policy in the digital arena.
· With 600 participants from across Europe, the Digital Assembly is the largest, and final, Dublin event of the Irish Presidency of the EU.
· Speakers and delegates across the two days will include representatives from Google, Rovio, DG Connect, IBM, Alcatel-Lucent, Casey Games, Microsoft, Siemens, and a range of prominent individuals from digital society.
· Day 1 will consists of seven thematic workshops focussing on ICT skills, smart cities and public services, research & innovation, broadband & cloud computing, cyber-security, entrepreneurship, and realisation of the Digital Single Market.
· Day 2 will take the form of a plenary session, opened jointly by Minister for Communications, Pat Rabbitte, T.D and EU Commission Vice President Neelie Kroes where delegates will participate interactively in the debate.
· Above all, the Digital Assembly provides a forum for the fastest growing sector of Europe’s economy to interact with policymakers and get the continent growing again.
Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte described the Assembly as a “Gathering” in its own right. “I welcome the arrival of the Digital Assembly to Ireland and extend my greetings in particular to the broad spectrum of individuals preparing to participate over the next two days. It is fitting to end our Presidency of Europe with a focus on the sector of our economy which holds the greatest promise of growth. Digital industries are growing at a dramatic rate, and their potential to reinvigorate the Irish economy must be encouraged and nurtured at every possible opportunity. This gathering of Europe’s digital entrepreneurs, stakeholders and policymakers represents a key milestone in the fulfilment of the promise of Europe’s Digital Agenda and ensures that we remain on a path of greater inclusion and prosperity.”