Appointments to the District Court
At its meeting today, the Government agreed to nominate Joanne Carroll, Barrister, and Cephas Power, Barrister, for appointment as Ordinary Judges to the District Court by the President of Ireland.
The first vacancy arose following the retirement of Judge Constantine O’Leary on 1 November 2020, and the second arose following the retirement of Judge Anne Ryan on 2 January 2021.
The Government has taken the necessary steps to formally advise President Higgins of the nomination in accordance with constitutional practice.
Note for Editors
- In accordance with articles 13.9 and 35.1 of the Constitution, judicial appointments are made by the President acting on the advice of the Government.
Limited biographical details:
- Educated: Diploma in Legal Studies in 1989 from Kings Inns, BL Degree in 1992 from Kings Inns, BA (Hons) European Studies in 1985 and a Diploma in Italian in 1984.
- Appointed to Junior Counsel in 1992.
- Qualified as an Accredited Mediator.
- Educated: Diploma in Legal Studies in 2003, BA in Law and Business in 2004, LLB in Irish Law in 2005 and Barrister at Law Degree from Kings Inns in 2006.
- Appointed to Junior Counsel in 2006.
- Law lecturer at Waterford Institute of Technology since 2005.