Statement by Paul Kehoe T.D., Minister with Responsibility for Defence and Chair of the Government Task Force on Emergency Planning
The National Emergency Coordination Group met earlier today to discuss preparations for Storm Ophelia.
Representatives from my Department and from the Defence Forces actively participated in this meeting.
The Defence Forces stand ready to deploy assets and resources when called upon, including transport and engineering assets.
Public safety is our primary concern. I strongly advise that everyone should stay off the roads during the storm tomorrow and do not make unnecessary journeys and to stay away from coastal areas.
Please follow the advice of the authorities in your local area as the situation evolves.
Additional safety advice.
- Household preparation is important, loose items outside can become dangerous.
- Check you have sufficient supplies of torches and/or candles.
- Farmers and those working outdoors should take extra precautions and are advised not to go out alone.
- Don't touch fallen electricity wires.
- Expect delays on public transport